Stem Cells : A Shelter for TB
90% of TB infections are cleared by the body’s immune defenses or by taking anti-TB medication. In the remaining 10% of cases, TB persists as a dormant, non-replicating infection. Although latent TB infections don't cause symptoms, they can activate after years of activity. An calculable one-third of the world population has latent TB, that accounts for 1.7 million deaths per year—more than any other bacterial pathogen on the earth.
During the first stages of the illness, active TB bacterium replicate within human macrophages and nerve fibre cells. however there's no proof these cells harbor dormant TB, and the location of the latent reservoir has remained a mystery.
Finally, the investigators came to an endemic TB region—Arunachal Pradesh, India—to collect human bone marrow from 9 patients World Health Organization had contracted TB, however had been successfully treated with “DOTS”—a World Health Organization -endorsed, multistep medical care. CD271-positive BM-MSCs has been isolated by researchers with magnetic sorting, and found that these cells were positive for TB deoxyribonucleic acid in eight out of the nine patients. Furthermore, 2 of the TB-positive bone marrow samples yielded viable bacterium.
While previous studies have detected TB deoxyribonucleic acid in different cell varieties, including epithelial/endothelial, fibrocytes, adipocytes, this can be the primary demonstration of viable TB being isolated from patients with latent infection.
Get to Know more about the current advancements in the field of Microbiology at the “7th European Clinical Microbiology Congress” which is going to be held in London, UK on November 01-03, 2018. For more details have a glance at our website: Clinical Microbiology 2018